With a connected store, Shopify customers will have the option to receive an invite to join your Community from the checkout page. After completing the registration form, these new Members will be automatically added to a Shopify community for you. This can be a great way to communicate with your Shopify customers directly from the Community app!
Before connecting the store from settings, you'll need to follow a few steps to properly configure your Shopify account.
Note: This feature is available to Leaders on Usage Based Pricing Plans. If you would like this feature to be added to your account, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Create a Shopify Store
First, you’ll need an account. Don’t have a Shopify account? Start a free trial.
Configure your checkout page (required)
To comply with TCPA and CTIA regulations (sending text messages to customers in USA and Canada) you’ll need to display additional legal language on your Shopify checkout page. We’ve prepared simple instructions to guide you. Follow the appropriate instructions below.
- For Basic Shopify, Shopify, or Advanced Shopify: see Configure checkout page (Shopify)
- For Shopify Plus: this integration is currently not supported.
Create a new Custom App In Shopify
The “custom app” will generate credentials so that Community can communicate with Shopify.
Note: You may need store owner permissions to create a custom app.
- From your Shopify dashboard and select Apps > (in the left-hand sidebar menu)
- Click on App and sales channel settings
- Click Develop apps for your store
- You may need to Allow custom app development if this is your first app
- Click Create an app
- Enter the App name (suggestion: Community) and click Create app
- Click Configure Admin API scopes
- Scroll down to Customers and check write_customers and read_customers
- Scroll down to Orders and check write_customers and read_customers
- Click Save
- Click Install App
Connect Shopify Store to Community
Now you're ready to connect your Shopify store to Community.
- From your Community settings page (https://dashboard.community.com/settings/customize) navigate to Settings > Integrations and click + Connect Store
- Navigate to the settings view for your newly created “custom app” in Shopify. In the API Credentials section, copy the Store URL, API Key, API Secret Key, and Admin API access token. Paste these codes into the respective fields in the Community dashboard.
- Set your custom Shopify Welcome Message and click Save.
🚨 Note: The Store URL must be in the format https://store_name.myshopify.com. ⚠️ The Admin API access token can only be revealed once so make sure you copy it before clicking away. Otherwise, you'll need to start over and create a new custom app.
You're all done! 🎉
If you're unable to access your Shopify data in the Community app, it's likely due to inadequate API permissions on your Custom App (created in our setup instructions above). Follow these steps to locate your Custom App settings and ensure it has proper permissions.
- Log in to your Shopify admin dashboard
- On the left sidebar, click Apps and navigate to Develop apps
- Select the Custom App you created in setup, likely named Community
- Navigate to Configuration and edit Admin API integration
- Mark Customers and Orders as Read and Write
- Click Save
If you're still having trouble, please contacts us at email@example.com